Broken Bones As Common Consequences of Seattle Bike Accidents
If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Washington, it is likely that you may suffer a number of serious injuries including multiple bone fractures. Bicyclists usually have nothing protecting their legs or arms, and the force of a collision could result in broken bones. Bone fractures may occur when a bicyclist makes contact with the car or when the cyclist strikes the pavement. There are many types of fractures you may sustain in a collision and they all usually require medical treatment and therapy.
Types of Bone Fractures
The type of bone fracture a victim suffers in an accident will usually affect the treatment he or she requires and could also determine how long the recovery might take. If you have been struck by a car while riding a bike, you may sustain the below:
- Closed fracture: This is when the bone breaks but does not puncture the skin.
- Open fracture: This is when the bone breaks through the skin. In such cases, there is an increased risk of a deep bone infection.
- Comminuted fracture: This type of a fracture occurs when the bone is broken into many pieces.
- Displaced fracture: In such cases, the bone snaps and moves so that the ends are not lined up straight.
- Non-displaced fracture: In these cases, the bone maintains its alignment despite cracking.
Consequences of Bone Fractures
Victims of bone fractures may need surgery depending on the severity of the fracture, its location, and the damage sustained to the bone and nearby tissue. Devastating bone fractures suffered in bicycle accidents can have serious complications if not treated right away. It is possible to suffer damage to blood vessels or nerves or for the bone and surrounding tissue to get infected. Even with proper treatment, recovery could take weeks or even months. The length of recovery increases when the victim requires surgery or when there are multiple bone fractures. When bones are broken, victims also require physical therapy to regain their strength, flexibility, and mobility.
Seattle Bike Accident Attorneys Discuss the Rights of Injured Cyclists
The losses suffered by injured bicyclists can add up quickly. In addition to the emergency room costs, surgical procedures, hospitalization, and physical therapy bills, injured victims may also have to miss work. The Seattle broken bone lawyers at Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. understand the challenges bicycle accident victims face and we are here to help you get the compensation you need to heal and get your life back to normalcy. To obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights, please contact us at (888) 228-3860.
- Bicycle Accident Blogs
- Winter Weather and Bike Riding Safety
- Summer 2016 Sees an Increase in Cyclists on the Road and an Increase in Bike Accidents
- Proving Negligence in a Bicycle Accident Case Involving an Injured Pedestrian in Seattle