Burn Scars, Disfigurement, and Treatment
Seattle Attorneys at Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. Can Help You
Perhaps no other type of injury, aside from full body paralysis, can seriously alter every aspect of a person’s life like burn scars and disfigurement. Besides the physical pain of the injuries themselves and their treatments, scarring and disfigurement injuries can cause severe emotional pain.
If you or a loved one has suffered scarring or disfiguring injuries, you or they may be able to pursue compensation for those injuries and the difficult future ahead. To get a settlement that is worthy of the victim’s losses, it is vital to consult an experienced Washington burn injury attorney.
Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. has successfully represented Seattle area accident injury victims for over four decades. We will take a personal interest in your case and see that you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (888) 228-3860 for a free consultation.
Burn Injury Classifications
In general, burn injuries are classified by the following categories:
- First degree burns: Burns to the top layer of skin causing redness, swelling, and pain to the touch.
- Second degree burns: Burns to the first two layers of skin (epidermis and dermis) causing deep reddening of the skin, pain, blisters, a glossy appearance from leaking fluid, and possible skin loss.
- Third degree burns: Burns that completely penetrate the skin and permanently destroy tissue. These burns appear black or white, and are dry.
All burns are painful, but second and third degree burns can leave scars and cause disfigurement.
Compensation for Scarring and Disfigurement Injuries
Depending on the extent of their injuries, a burn scar victim may seek compensation for any of the following damages:
- Current medical bills (including ambulance and emergency room fees)
- Bills for continued treatment (extended hospital stays and in home care)
- Future medical bills (surgeries and other medical procedures predicted in relation to the initial injury)
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional duress
- Cost of physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Expenses related to emotional therapy and counseling
- Lost wages for time off from work
- Loss of career or earning capacity
- Loss of a limb
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Chronic pain management
- Home and vehicle modification (the victim may need things like wheelchair ramps constructed or special bathing equipment installed, and modifications to their vehicle)
- Permanent injury or disability
- Hedonic damages (for loss of the joy of life)
Burn injuries can be excruciatingly painful, and so can the emotional injuries that accompany scarring and disfigurement. If you or a loved one has suffered such a life-altering injury, compensation should be demanded. To recover your financial losses and be compensated for your emotional woes, it is crucial that a victim seek the representation of a skilled, experienced personal injury legal team.
Psychological Impact of Scarring and Disfigurement
The psychological effects caused by scarring and disfigurement have been well documented. Indeed, people with serious scarring and disfigurement injuries are reminded of the traumatic, painful event that changed their lives every time they see their reflection. Victims of scarring and disfigurement injuries often suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression. They can find it difficult to find employment and make friends. Their pariah status only increases their sense of social isolation. Scarring and disfigurement victims also have a high rate of suicide.
Treatment for Burn Injury Scarring and Disfigurement
In the last 10 years or so, the medical profession has made great strides forward in the field of burn treatment and facial reconstruction. The prevalence of severely burned soldiers wounded in Afghanistan and Iraq has prompted a surge in research for reconstructive plastic surgery techniques. But, like treatments for the burns themselves, these reconstructive surgeries can be painful, prolonged, and expensive. Scarring and disfigurement victims can expect multiple surgeries, including skin grafts, skin transplants, and skin expansions.
Contact a Washington Burn Injury Treatment Lawyer Today
Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. have been fighting for the rights of Seattle burn injury victims for over 40 years. We are not afraid to stand up to insurance companies in order to get the settlement an injury victim and their family deserves. To begin your road to recovery, call our Seattle burn injury treatment attorneys at (888) 228-3860 for a free consultation.
Call us for a free consultation(888) 228-3860
Se habla español
Backed by our
No Fee Promise
Client ReviewsRead More
from defective power winch.
from head-on van accident.
resulting in wrongful death.