Frequently Asked Questions About Washington Motorcycle Law

Do I have to wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle?

Do I have to wear eye protection while operating a motorcycle?

Are there requirements my motorcycle has to meet?

How do I obtain a motorcycle license?

Is motorcycle insurance required?

Is lane splitting allowed?

How about lane sharing?

How loud can my motorcycle be?

What should I do if I've been in a motorcycle accident in Washington?

Q: Do I have to wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle?

A: Yes, you cannot legally operate or ride upon a motorcycle or any other kind of motor-driven cycle unless you are wearing a motorcycle helmet, according to RCW 46.37.530 (1)(c). The helmet must be fastened securely with the chin or neck strap while the motorcycle is in motion. Although helmet speakers are known to cause distraction, they are not restricted in the state of Washington.

Back to Top

Q: Do I have to wear eye protection while operating a motorcycle?

A: Yes, you must be wearing glasses, goggles, or any other type of face shield unless your motorcycle has a windshield, according to RCW 46.37.530 (1)(b).

Back to Top

Q: Are there requirements my motorcycle has to meet?

A: Yes, your motorcycle must have two side-view mirrors and a muffler, along with functional head lamps, tail lamps, and turn signals. Your motorcycle is exempt from the turn signal requirement only if it was originally manufactured without turn signals. Additionally, your motorcycle must have a passenger seat and footrest if you plan to carry any passengers. Finally, the handlebar on your motorcycle cannot exceed 30 inches above the height of the seat.

Back to Top

Q: How do I obtain a motorcycle license?

A: According to RCW 46.20.515, in order to obtain a motorcycle license in Washington, you must pass an endorsement examination that tests your ability to perform "maneuvers necessary for on-street operation, including emergency braking and turning as may be required to avoid an impending collision." The examination may be administered by an entity contracted under RCW 46.20.520. Furthermore, you may not need to take the examination if you have completed a voluntary motorcycle operator training and education program authorized under RCW 46.20.520. You may also have the exam waived if you have completed a private motorcycle skills education course certified under RCW 46.81A.020.

Back to Top

Q: Is motorcycle insurance required?

A: Yes. According to RCW 46.30.020, a motorcycle operator must have a liability policy with acceptable limits as defined by RCW 46.29.090 along with written proof of insurance. Insurance identification must be presented to a law enforcement officer when requested; otherwise, refusal may be construed as not having a license, which is treated as a traffic infraction and carries penalties.

Back to Top

Q: Is lane splitting allowed?

A: No. According to RCW 46.61.608 (4), "no person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles."

Back to Top

Q: How about lane sharing?

A: Yes, but no more than two motorcycles can share a lane side-by-side.

Back to Top

Q: How loud can my motorcycle be?

A: According to Washington Administrative Code 173-62-030, a motorcycle cannot emit more than 78 decibels at 45 mph or less, more than 82 decibels over 45 mph, as measured at 50 feet. However, all motorcycles manufactured prior to 1986 are exempt from this restriction.

Back to Top

Q: What should I do if I've been in a motorcycle accident in Washington?

A: Call the knowledgeable Seattle motorcycle accident attorneys at Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. to learn about your rights and legal options in a consultation at no cost to you. Our number is (888) 228-3860.

Back to Top

Additional Information

Our Case Results

Degloving Injury$2,400,000
Degloving Injury
from defective power winch.
Wrongful Death$1,925,000
Wrongful Death
from head-on van accident.
Rollover Accident$1,925,000
Rollover Accident
resulting in wrongful death.
Wrongful Death$1,625,000
Wrongful Death
from highway design defect.
Car Accident$595,000
Car Accident
injuries to 47-year-old woman.
Wrongful Death$460,695
Wrongful Death
oncoming traffic accident.
Rear-End Collision$450,000
Rear-End Collision
resulting in lower back injury.
Car Accident$390,000
Car Accident
resulting in fractured leg.
Car Sideswipe$390,000
Car Sideswipe
resulting in injured back.
Head-On Collision$372,000
Head-On Collision
resulting in fractured pelvis.
Car Accident$360,000
Car Accident
resulting in lower back injury.
Car Accident$275,000
Car Accident
resulting in jaw fracture.
Overturned Truck$230,000
Overturned Truck
resulting in broken ribs.
Head-On Collision$230,000
Head-On Collision
resulting in shoulder injury.
Motorcycle Accident$225,000
Motorcycle Accident
resulting in leg fracture.

Written by Joseph Pendergast, this book is designed to help people who have suffered a personal injury understand their rights and the steps to take to be sure they get the compensation they deserve.

Connect With Us

Share This Page

Our Office

Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S.
555 South Renton Village Pl. Suite 640
Renton, WA 98057
(888) 228-3860
(425) 228-3860 / (253) 445-3860

From Our Blog

Joseph Pendergast Given 2018 Clients’ Choice Award

By Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S.

WA Motorcycle Accident Attorney Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact a lawyer for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Washington.

© 2018 Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. - All rights reserved. Serving the communities throughout Washington.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS ConsultingSLS Consulting | Privacy | Disclaimer |Sitemap