Bicyclist Seriously Injured in Seattle Crash
A man was injured in a recent Seattle bike accident when a Nissan sedan struck his bicycle. The Seattle Press Intelligencer reports that the bicycle accident occurred in the 9400 block of Airport Way South in Seattle. Officials say the bicyclist and the driver were traveling south when the crash occurred. The cyclist was ejected from his bike and seriously injured. He was treated at the scene by medics before being transported to a nearby medical center. It is unclear what caused the crash, but officials say the driver showed no sign of impairment.
There are a number of reasons why a collision may occur between a cyclist and a vehicle traveling in the same direction. Investigators at the scene of the crash will likely seek answers to a number of questions, including:
- Was the bicyclist safely traveling to the far right side of the lane?
- Was the motorist distracted, impaired, fatigued, speeding, or otherwise careless?
- Is the roadway dangerous for cyclists because of large potholes or uneven surfaces?
- Did the cyclist fail to yield to traffic before attempting to make a turn?
- Was the bicyclist wearing bright clothing or using hand signals to increase his visibility?
- Does the roadway have a history of similar instances? If so, would a freshly painted bike lane prevent this type of accident from happening in the future?
- Are there witnesses to the accident who could provide valuable information to investigators?
Victims of bicycle accidents can pursue financial compensation for their losses by filing a claim against the at-fault driver. Unfortunately, this process is often stressful and challenging. It is common for drivers to deny responsibility for their actions and for insurance companies to aggressively fight their financial obligation to the victim. A skilled Seattle bicycle accident attorney is often needed to protect the rights of the victim and to ensure that he or she receives fair and full compensation for the significant losses sustained.