Five Steps to Take after a Seattle Car Accident
Immediately after being involved in a Seattle car accident, it is important to take a deep breath and to try to remain calm. The actions you take in the aftermath of a collision could affect your ability to receive compensation for the injuries and losses you have sustained.
Here are five steps you can take that will increase your chances of getting the support you need:
- Call the police. If you or anyone else has suffered an injury, you must call the authorities and remain at the scene of the crash. The police report can provide you with specific details regarding when and where the crash occurred and the names of the parties involved.
- Gather contact information. It is not advisable to rely solely on the police report for important contact information. If you are able to do so, gather the name, number and insurance information for the drivers involved in the collision. If anyone witnessed the accident, write down his or her name and number as well.
- Take plenty of photos. If you have a cell phone with a camera function or a camera of any kind, take as many photos as possible. It can prove useful to have photographs of the position of the vehicles, skid marks, damage to the cars and a wide shot showing the entire scene. It is also useful to have photos of your injuries immediately after the crash and later as you heal.
- Seek medical attention. If you are injured and decide to file a claim, your medical records will be an important piece of evidence. In addition, seeking prompt medical attention will ensure that your recovery is quick and complete.
- Research your legal options: If you have been injured in a car accident that requires you to spend money for treatment and time off from work, you will need an experienced Seattle car accident lawyer on your side. One that will ensure that your legal rights and best interests are protected.
Do not accept a settlement that does not cover all of your current and future medical bills, as well as your lost wages, pain and suffering, the cost of rehabilitation services, and other related damages. It is often necessary to appeal the decision of the insurance provider or to file a claim against the at-fault driver. A Seattle car accident attorney can help you better understand your legal rights and options.