Save Your Life in 15 MinutesIf someone told you that 15 minutes could save your life, would you be willing to listen? Well, spending just a quarter of an hour checking out a few things on your car before your next trip could help you avoid an accident and save you and your passengers from serious injury—or worse.
- Check your wiper blades: Believe it or not, being able to see is an important part of safe driving. Wiper blades wear out faster than any other part of your car, so it’s important to check them regularly and change them when they start to deteriorate. Even if the skies are clear and sunny, you need to remember that you live in the Pacific Northwest and rain can happen any time.
- Check your tires: Your tires are what connect you to the road—literally. Check to see if they have enough tread and make sure no tread has fallen off since your last inspection. Check for cracks in the sidewalls and uneven wear patterns. Use a tire gauge to make sure your tires are inflated to the manufacturer’s guidelines. Properly inflated tires will make the vehicle perform better and increase your gas mileage.
- Adjust your seat: To drive well, your seat must at the proper height and positioned where your feet can comfortably manipulate the pedals. You don’t want to be too close or too far away from them. Practice depressing both the throttle and the brake (and clutch if it’s a manual transmission) and adjust the seat accordingly.
- Adjust your mirrors: Now that your seat is properly adjusted, check all of your mirrors and adjust them to eliminate as many blind spots as you possibly can.
- Seatbelt check: Check to make sure that you and every one of your passengers is securely fastened into their seatbelts. Then put on your sunglasses, rev up, and you’re on your way.
The pre-drive inspection above can’t prevent all accidents, but you’ll be decreasing your odds of having an accident that could’ve been prevented. In the unfortunate incidence that you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact the Seattle auto accident attorneys at Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. Call (888) 228-3860 for a free consultation.