The Most Common Delivery Room Mistakes and Resulting InjuriesHaving a baby is one of the most exciting times of any parent’s life, and it all starts in the delivery room. Most of the time, everything goes as it should with happy outcomes all around. But sometimes, accidents happen and in the worst of cases, tragedy results. Those accidents sometimes occur due to error on the part of the doctors or nurses in the delivery room, and in most cases, it’s the infant that sustains injuries because of them. Below are some of the most common delivery room mistakes, and the possible injuries that can occur from them.
- Problems with the fetal heart rate, oxygen levels, or vital signs that aren’t identified quickly or monitored properly. When this happens, the infant’s health can decline quickly and significantly. These types of injuries can result in Cerebral palsy, brain damage, seizures, or birth asphyxia.
- Incorrect use of delivery tools. Things like forceps and vacuum extractors are sometimes used to help with a baby’s delivery. But when these tools aren’t used properly, injuries such as brain damage, Cerebral palsy, hemorrhage, seizures, or facial paralysis can occur.
- Not ordering a C-section/ waiting too long. The need for a C-section needs to be determined as soon as possible, otherwise it could put the infant in distress. Brain damage, Erb’s palsy, and Cerebral palsy can result from a C-section that’s not ordered, or that’s not ordered soon enough.
- Wrong medication or dosage. This is most commonly seen when Pitocin (oxytocin) is used to induce labor but not properly prescribed, or when pain medication is given at a wrong dose. This can cause many problems for the infant including seizures, uterine ruptures, and retinal hemorrhages.
- Infections not identified/ not treated. A number of infections can be present during pregnancy, and they need to be treated before or during delivery. These infections include Group B strep, E. coli, herpes simplex virus (HSV), or STDs and they can result in the infection being transmitted to the infant. In addition to that, the baby can also suffer from meningitis and encephalitis if these infections are not treated properly.
Sadly, these five problems are just the most common that are seen in delivery rooms, and there are many more that can occur. If your child has been injured due to delivery room mistakes, call Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. toll-free at (888) 228-3860 for a free initial consultation. You might be entitled to compensation, and we’re the compassionate Seattle birth injury attorneys that can help you get it.