Types of Spinal Cord Injuries Suffered in Washington Car AccidentsWashington car accident lawyers know that spinal cord injuries often leave crash victims with chronic pain and long-term health effects. There are many types of injuries you can suffer in a Washington car accident, including traumatic brain injuries, bone fractures, sprains, strains, lacerations, internal injuries, burn injuries, and amputations. Some of the most devastating injuries you can sustain in a collision involve your neck and back. In extreme cases, victims can sustain spinal cord injuries that permanently affect their quality of life.
Spinal cord injuries are particularly devastating because they often require extensive rehabilitation. Many spinal cord injuries result in a permanent loss of either sensation or movement below the site of the trauma. While broken bones can heal over time, spinal cord injuries often never improve.
There are a few different types of spinal cord injuries that can occur during a crash. A complete spinal cord injury is when there is bruising, pressure, or loss of blood to the spinal cord. It will typically result in the complete loss of sensation and motor ability below where the spinal cord is damaged. An incomplete spinal cord injury, however, does not result in the complete loss of movement or sensation.
Examples of spinal cord injuries include:
- Anterior Cord Syndrome: When there is damage to both motor and sensory pathways in the anterior areas of the spinal cord.
- Brown-Sequard Syndrome: When there is damage to the right or left side of the spinal cord that results in a loss of feeling or ability on the opposite side of the body.
- Central Cord Syndrome: Trauma to the center of the cervical area of the spinal cord. This type of trauma will affect the signals carried between the brain and the spinal cord.
- Nerve Cell Injuries: When the injured nerve root that corresponds with the area of the body undergoes a loss of sensory and motor function.
- Spinal Contusions: Spinal cord is bruised but not severed.
The experienced Seattle car accident spine injury attorneys at Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. understand the long-term needs of spinal cord injury victims. We fight to get our clients fair compensation for their significant losses. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury, please call our offices right away at (888) 228-3860 for a no-cost consultation.