Seattle Amusement Park & Water Park Accident Attorneys
Injuries at an Amusement Park, Water Park, Theme Park, Fair, or Carnival
Amusement parks and water parks can be a great place for friends and families to spend a warm summer's day, and Washington State has several to choose from. But while we enjoy the thrill and adrenaline rush of riding a roller coaster or careening down a water slide, we don't believe we're in any real danger. Unfortunately, you may be in more danger than you think, because amusement and water parks have been the site of some serious injuries and even deaths. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, an average of 4.5 Americans per year were killed on park rides.
If you've been injured or lost a loved one due to an amusement or water park accident, you and your family may be entitled to significant compensation for damages and losses. To find out if you have a viable civil claim, you'll want to consult an experienced Seattle premises liability attorney. The legal team at the Renton, Washington law offices of Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. has spent the last four decades defending the rights of Seattle area injury victims and their families. Let them put their experience to work on your claim so that you and your family can get the settlement you deserve. Call us at (888) 228-3860 for a free case evaluation.
Claims Against an Amusement or Water Park in Washington
In general, most claims against amusement or water parks fall under three categories, Negligence, Product Liability, or Premises Liability.
If the injury or death was caused by inattentiveness or carelessness of a park employee, or the park as a whole, that is considered negligence. Since the park is responsible for the actions of its employees, a plaintiff can sue the park for an employee's actions or failure to act. Examples would include the following:
- Failure to properly train employees
- Failure to regularly inspect, maintain, and repair rides
- Improperly operating a ride
- Failure to post signs that adequately warn riders of the risks involved in a ride, such as "People with high blood pressure or heart problems should avoid this ride"
- Giving riders incorrect instructions
Many amusement and water park accidents are caused by defective rides or parts of rides, poorly designed rides, and failure to properly maintain the rides. In such cases, the park, the designer of the ride, and the manufacturer of the defective ride or part can be held liable for a plaintiff's injury or death.
The owner of a premises has a duty to keep it reasonably safe for anyone lawfully entering that premises. Slippery walkways, lack of handrails, failure to clean up debris, and lack of security are all examples of premises liability.
Need a Trusted Seattle Amusement Park Accident Lawyer?
If you've lost a loved one or been injured while attempting to enjoy yourself at an amusement park, water park, theme park, fair, or carnival, it's important that you contact a qualified attorney. Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. can examine your case and instruct you as to your best course of action in getting the settlement you deserve. Call (888) 228-3860 for a free consultation.
- Why Do Seattle Amusement Park Accidents Happen?
- Seattle Premises Liability Law
- Amusement Ride Injury Statistics
- Recreational Water Illnesses - CDC
- Water Park Injuries - National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Liability of Owners or Others in Possession of Land and Water Areas for Injuries to Recreation Users
- How Often Do Accidents Happen at Amusement, Water Parks? - USA Today
- Amusement Parks Linked to Thousands of Injuries in 2016, Safety Commission Estimates