Bicyclist Struck by Motor Home
A bicyclist in Missoula was flown to a Seattle hospital after being struck by a motor home. According to a news report in The Ravalli Republic, the bicycle accident occurred at Miller Creek Road and U.S. Highway 93. Officials are looking into whether the bicyclist went against a red light at the time of the crash. The bike was caught under the wheels of the motor home and the rider sustained serious head internal injuries.
There are many reasons why bicycle accidents commonly occur at busy intersections. Riders often contribute to crashes by failing to obey traffic laws. Drivers often cause intersection accidents by failing to look for riders before making a turn or entering traffic. If you ride a bicycle, here are a few safety tips to remember whenever you approach an intersection:
- Obey the law. Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers. Similarly, they must follow the rules of the road. Never ride through intersections without obeying stop signs or traffic lights.
- Avoid blind spots. If you pull up alongside the back of a vehicle, the driver may not see you. If you remain in that position for too long, the driver may not realize you are there before turning or changing lanes.
- Make eye contact. If you are pulling in front of a driver, make sure he or she sees you first.
- Find a crumple zone. If you have to stop at an intersection, pull up near the front of a stopped vehicle. This way, you will be safe from drivers behind you who may strike your bike.
- Make yourself visible. Wear bright clothing, attach a lamp to your bike, use reflectors on the front and back of your bike and install a horn.
If you are exercising safe habits and are still involved in a bicycle crash, you may be able to pursue financial compensation for your medical bills, time away from work, and other related losses. A Seattle car accident attorney can review your case at no initial cost and help determine if a personal injury claim is your best option to receive the support you need.