Washington Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
Compensation for Slip & Fall Injuries
It is a frightening experience to have your feet suddenly slip out from under you on a slick surface or icy patch. Slip and fall accidents can lead to very serious injuries, and innocent people suffer the consequences when property owners are negligent and allow hazardous slip-and-fall conditions to exist on their property. When a slip and fall occurs, large business has risk management claims adjusters or lawyers preparing a defense, often right away.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident caused by someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensation for the losses you have suffered. It is in your best interests to speak with an experienced Seattle trip and fall accident attorney as soon as you can after the accident.
Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
To quote NFSI (National Floor Safety Institute), "Falls aren't funny." Slip and fall accidents can cause serious injuries with life-altering consequences, or even death. Common injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents include:
- Head injuries (traumatic brain injury): A mild concussion suffered in a fall could resolve itself in a few weeks, but a serious traumatic brain injury can leave a person permanently disabled.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Falls can cause serious and painful back injuries. Spinal cord injuries can result in varying degrees of paralysis and loss of sensation below the level of injury.
- Shoulder injuries: Brachial plexus injury (shoulder dislocation) is common in slip and fall accidents after a jolt to the shoulder in a fall.
- Hip fractures: These injuries most often require hospitalization and dangerous surgical intervention.
- Other fractures and sprains: Fractures and sprains of the legs, ankles, arms, wrists, and hands are common when a person lands hard in a fall.
The Seattle personal injury law firm of Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. has been providing aggressive, effective representation to injured people in Washington for more than 40 years. We can tell you what your options are under the law, and what damages you may be entitled to claim.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents occur when a person who is walking, running, or standing suddenly loses foot contact and reflexively attempts to balance, but the force of gravity pulls the body to the floor or the ground. Common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Hazardous floor conditions: Property owners or their maintenance staff may mop and wax floors, and fail to restrict the area while drying, or provide adequate warning. Excessive amounts of wax may have been applied to flooring, or the wax applied unevenly. When one section of the floor is treated and another section is left untreated, the abrupt change in floor surface can cause slip and falls. Failure to treat floor surfaces with non-skid materials, or applying a floor treatment, such as wax, to a sloped walking surface can cause unsuspecting individuals to slip and fall.
- Improperly maintained stairways: Stairs become worn with use and must be maintained to prevent slip and fall accidents. Steps that are worn and rounded, stairs that have been waxed or polished, steps that do not have non-skid surfaces, or have missing or broken handrails, or debris left in the stair area, can cause slip and fall accidents with serious injuries.
- Weather conditions: Property owners cannot control the weather, but they do have a responsibility when snow and ice arrive, to shovel sidewalks and use de-icing salt on steps and walkways. Municipalities also have a responsibility to plow the roads and clear public areas for safer walking. When property owners fail in these duties, there is high potential for serious injuries in a winter weather slip and fall accident.
Contact Our Washington Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Don't wait to speak with a personal injury lawyer if you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident. Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. is dedicated to serving the community in cases of serious injury. Contact us for a free case consultation. We have the experience, skills, and dedication to aggressively pursue full compensation for all damages after a slip and fall accident in which another party failed to act reasonably to protect the safety of others. We can be reached at (888) 228-3860.
- Slip and Fall Accident Blogs
- Winter Means More Slip-and-Fall Accidents
- Who’s Responsible for Falls at Seattle Stadiums?
- ‘Tis the Season for Slip and Falls Involving Snow or Ice
- Winter Time Means More Seattle Slip and Falls
- Who is Responsible for a Slip, Trip, or Fall on a Seattle Sidewalk?
- Quick Facts from the National Floor Safety Institute
- Older Adult Falls - CDC